{ WHAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED...... }

{ WHAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED... }

Fresh From the Garden.....

Well I told you that we are growing our first garden this summer, using the square foot gardening method.

I just wanted to update that we are still loving our garden and overall, everything is doing great!


I have learned that organic gardening is not easy.  I hand pick squash bugs every morning and stay on constant patrol for aphids.

  At one point, when the squash bugs were multiplying so quickly I could barely keep up with them, I considered using a pesticide from my local garden center, but at the last minute I changed my mind, and reminded myself how that went against all my beliefs.  I did end up losing two butternut squash plants, but I'm still glad I didn't resort to pesticide use so at least I can feel confident in the safety of the squash I do end up with.


We've started the process of pulling up some of the summer crops, like bush beans, to make way for the Fall plantings of greens, pumpkins, corn and carrots.


It's a baby watermelon!   I'm just hoping Felicity doesn't get excited and pick it off as she has done a few other things.


Having a garden has given me the chance to try things I never have before, like pickled green tomatoes.  

I had heard of pickled green tomatoes and was curious what they tasted like, so this week I decided to pull a few green tomatoes and make some.


You don't actually have to "can" these.  You just put the ingredients in the jar, put the lid on and throw them in the fridge and supposedly they will last for a couple months.

I followed this recipe.  They turned out pretty tasty.  

My next experiment will be with making some spicy pickled cucumbers and peppers.  Like the tomatoes, I'm not going to do the "real canning" thing, but just do the refrigerator canning.

There are a few new designs available in our shop.

Including, these pink petti rompers & top hats.....
Pink Lace Petti Romper-pink, petti, romper, petti romper, pettiskirt, lace, onesie

Black Petti Romper-petti romper, onesie, romper, pettiskirt, black, lace, vintage

and my new favorite..... black & pink elegant satin headbands!
Elegant Black Satin Headband-black, elegant, headband, baby  Elegant Pink Satin Headband-pink, satin, headband, flower, elegant, baby

Have a great week!

-Pamela





7 comments:

  1. If I were your neighbor I would try to barter a butternut squash and an eggplant. The squash makes great chipotle squash soup and I am making ajvar with the eggplant, next weeks project. The refrigerator pickles are so easy and I never buy pickles anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than produce from your own backyard! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Monday Funday!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many years have you gardened organically? My first couple of years I had a lot more pests because everything was still out of wack, but finally predators started coming in and balancing everything out.

    I went to an organic growing conference (it was a present and nearby in Asheville, NC) where I learned a great deal about non-native pests and when to use organic pesticide and it was wonderful to learn when to throw in the towel and get some neem oil (mexican bean beetle anyone?) ersus hand picking the bugs.

    Whatever you are doing it looks a heck of a lot better than mine did last year pest-wise. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our first garden ever. I've noticed that the longer the season goes that instead of our pest problems getting worse, they are actually getting better. I now have pumpkins growing in addition to a butternut squash that left and I haven't seen a single squash bug recently! I've noticed a huge increase in the beneficial predator insects though, like lady bugs and wasps and what not so hopefully things will stay good through the Fall garden.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful is the word! Lovely garden you got here.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...